Welcome to this fortnight’s blog – Chakras Explained. The concept of chakras originated in ancient India, specifically within the traditions of Hinduism and was later incorporated into practices like Buddhism. The earliest known mention of chakras can be found in ancient Indian texts called the Vedas which were composed between 1500 and 500 BCE. The precise time of their discovery or origin is difficult to determine as they emerged as part of a broader spiritual and philosophical tradition over thousands of years. Today we are going to explore in a little more detail the seven main chakras and how we can keep them balanced.
What are Chakras?
According to some Eastern spiritual traditions, Chakras are believed to be energy centers or wheels of energy within the human body – particularly those found in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Tantra. The word “chakra” comes from the Sanskrit language, meaning “wheel” or “disk.” There are generally seven main chakras that are commonly discussed, and each is associated with a specific location in the body and has its unique qualities and characteristics. Here is a brief overview of the seven main chakras:
- Crown Chakra (Sahasrara): Located at the top of the head, it is associated with spiritual connection,higher consciousness, and enlightenment.
- Third Eye Chakra (Ajna): Located between the eyebrows, it is associated with intuition, insight,and spiritual awareness.
- Throat Chakra (Vishuddha): Located in the throat area, it is associated with communication, self-expression, and truth.
- Heart Chakra (Anahata): Located in the center of the chest, it is associated with love, compassion,forgiveness, and emotional well-being.
- Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura): Located in the upper abdomen, it is associated with personal power,confidence, and self-esteem.
- Sacral Chakra (Svadhishthana): Located in the lower abdomen, it is associated with emotions,sensuality, creativity, and sexuality.
- Root Chakra (Muladhara): Located at the base of the spine, it is associated with stability, grounding, and the basic needs of survival.
It is believed that when the chakras are balanced and in harmony, they contribute to our physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being. Sometimes our chakras may be come out of alignment which can lead to physical discomfort or illness, emotional imbalances, lack of energy flow, feeling disconnected or unfocused, and difficulty in maintaining healthy relationships or a sense of purpose. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to realign your chakras and bring the balance back:
- Meditation: Focus on each chakra individually, envisioning its color and affirming its qualities.
- Yoga: Practice poses that stimulate and activate specific chakras.
- Sound therapy: Listen to specific frequencies or use chanting to harmonise chakras.
- Aromatherapy: Use essential oils associated with each chakra during meditation or baths. You can read more about this in our previous blog.
- Crystal healing: Place gemstones or crystals aligned with each chakra on the corresponding areas.
- Mindfulness: Pay attention to your thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations, addressing any imbalances.
- Reiki or energy healing: Seek the assistance of a qualified practitioner to clear and balance your chakras. Check out www.reikisurrey.co.uk and take a look at our directory for a practitioner near you. If you can’t find a local practitioner, why not consider distant healing with one of our listed practitioners.
All of the above are great ways to keep your chakras in alignment and nicely balanced. If you feel you are in need of a little balancing, choose one or two things from the list to try. See how your body feels and responds afterwards.
We’ve Got You Covered
We have a great selection of chakra products available both in store and online for you to purchase. Below we’ve chosen a small selection of chakra items we currently have in stock. If you are looking for something specific, please don’t hesitate to give us a call on 01372 878606, or pop in and we’ll be more than happy to help.
Courses and Workshops
As always, there’s plenty going on here. We have Reiki training, FREE meditations, as well as online courses. Take a look below and if something takes your fancy give us a call on 01372 878606.