“Self-love, self-respect, self-worth: There’s a reason they all start with ‘self.’ You can’t find them in anyone else.”
Self Love has become a popular topic recently, but it’s hard to understand what it really means. A lot of people see self love as only being achievable through a makeover, a diet or a new set of clothes, which is not the case. Of course, these things make you feel good and confident at the time, but that feeling fades, and once again you’re left with a sense of unsatisfaction with yourself. This is because self love is not simply a state of feeling good. It is a state of appreciation for oneself on a psychological, spiritual and physical level. It’s being proud of your abilities and talents, grateful for your health, happy that you get to wake up every morning and take on the world. You don’t need to change in order to feel self love, you just need to learn how to appreciate everything you are and everything you can become. Here are some tips on where to start on your self love journey!
1) A great first step is to create a gratitude list or journal. Spend some time to think and write down everything you are grateful for in life, no matter how small or mundane they seem. This will help you embrace all the positivity in your life and why you deserve your love.
2) Remember to treat yourself with kindness. It’s easy to look at yourself and see the ‘flaws’, but this behaviour does nothing but ruin your self esteem. Challenge yourself to look in the mirror and find the things you really like. This isn’t being self absorbed or vain, it’s about appreciating yourself. Change how you view the features you don’t like. Instead of wishing you had bigger eyes, think about how grateful you are to be able to see.
3) Set yourself boundaries. Don’t be afraid to say no to work and activities that deplete you or harm you emotionally and spiritually. If you arranged a meal with your friends but when the day comes around, you’d rather stay at home, then tell them this. Your friends and family will understand that you have limits.
4) Forgive yourself. We punish ourselves when we make mistakes, and relive moments that we regret. To really love yourself, you have to accept that you are not perfect. Practice being less hard on yourself and remember that you can learn and grow from your mistakes.
5) Use crystals to help amplify the loving energies within you. Keep them in your pocket or wear them in a piece of jewellery to remind yourself that you are worthy of love. Rose Quartz helps boost your self love and Carnelian can help you find and release your inner power.